Friday, July 29, 2011

55th/Woodlawn Gardens Revisited

I love before and after photos, and now I can finally offer some from the 55th/Woodlawn community gardens (see original post).

55th St. -- Before

55th St. -- After!
 As usual, I am amazed by what good sun conditions can do for a garden. Look at these monster green beans!


It was hard to capture the dazzling array of zinnias and other flowers on my little camera, so I tried a semi-artsy shot of these orange ones (which I can't quite identify...some sort of coreopsis?).


These giant blue cabbages dominate several plots. They're beautiful, if also perhaps frightful... This one had its own pet frog:


An avid gardener I met on-site eagerly ushered me over to the delicate blooms of borage, which I had never seen before. He was sorry to say they were just past their prime, but we found a few left to admire.

Borage
The heat made me appreciate the rest spot in the center of the garden beneath a tall shade tree. In this garden, you definitely want to sit and enjoy everything for at least a few minutes!

See you again in the fall! 

2 comments:

  1. I don't think that's a frog ... it's a lizard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I spent time googling 'six legged frog'!

    ReplyDelete