Thursday, May 26, 2011

Fields of Dreams

I love before-and-after photos, so I took this one a few weeks ago at 55th/Woodlawn...and I'll be back for re-takes in July and August. More info on this location can (soon) be found on my new Community Gardens page.

It doesn't look like much yet, but I can see people were already gearing up for a good growing season back in early May. I really like the bricks laid out on the left. Maybe there should be a "Best Garden Plot" contest...? Gardening can be many things to many people, but one thing I'm always drawn to is the way some people go about creating their own space. ...But forget the contest. I'm just going to keep an eye out for great spaces!
But maybe we should have a "Best Scary-ass Scarecrow" award...I nominate this one.
Pics 3 and 4 were taken May 24th at the Nichols Park Field House, where the gardens are up and running, despite the cold and rain. I always see gorgeous butternut squash growing on the wrought iron fence later in the season. 
The plots here seem more expensive and harder to come by, but you get some perks. Benches, a picnic table, and other amenities within the Nichols Park Field House. But in the end, any bit of soil will do (and with hydroponics, sometimes you don't even need that!). So happy gardening to all!





No comments:

Post a Comment